Thursday, November 7, 2013

Quick and Easy Homemade Laundry Detergent

In my never-ending quest to save money, I came across a great blog post for homemade laundry detergent! Now, I've seen many 'recipes' for homemade laundry detergent, but this is the easiest one I've ever come across! It's quick, and makes one gallon at a time.

There are only three ingredients you'll need.
It cost about $7.50 for all these ingredients, but you'll have enough to make MANY gallons of detergent! The borax and washing soda are in the laundry aisle, and they're usually on the bottom shelf.

These are the amounts:
3 tablespoons of borax
3 tablespoons of washing soda
2 tablespoons of original blue Dawn

Directions:
Put the borax and washing soda in a gallon jug. I use a funnel so it doesn't spill down the side.
Pour in four cups of hot water. It doesn't have to be boiling, but it does need to be hot enough to dissolve the powders. I usually just heat the water in the microwave until it's about as hot as water would be for coffee. The original website I got this from said to put the Dawn in with the borax and washing soda, but if you add it after you pour in the hot water, there will be fewer suds. Gently swish to mix and dissolve. After this cools a bit, fill the rest of the jug with cold water.

That's all there is to it!

This is what mine looks like after I make it.
It's watery and has a light blue tint. I use between 1/2 cup to a whole cup depending on the load size and how dirty the clothes are. The amount may also need to be adjusted depending on the hardness of your water. Of course it's not an exact science, so add or subtract until you find what works best for you. :-)

I washed a load that had a pair of Katie's muddy P.E. pants in it, and they came out clean as could be, along with everything else in the load! I've been using it for a little while now, and it's been working great on everything I've washed. 

I have a top-loading washing machine, so I'm not familiar with how this would work in a HE machine.

Thankfully, someone else has already done the cost breakdown, and the cost came to about 25 cents per gallon. I don't buy the name brand detergents, and even then, the cost for an average size bottle of liquid detergent is about $4. It's easy to see the savings are big! I think this would be especially helpful to large families or those who spend a lot of money on pricey detergent.

I also made some using the lavender scented GAIN dish liquid. It worked well too, and has a nice scent.

I'm so happy to find such a great money-saver and pass it on to you. Every little bit helps. :-)

Take care,
~Melanie


14 comments:

ஐღReneeஐ said...

I have made laundry soap for years, Yep I have tried Dawn to.

Ginny said...

Wow, this is very cool! I have never heard of Washing Soda! Is it in the grocery store? I may have to try this.

Melanie said...

Hi, Renee'. I'm so happy to find something that's quick and easy to make without having to make a lot at a time. :-)

Chatty Crone said...

Okay does this work really good? That would save a lot of money! Thanks. sandie

Sharon said...

I love that you don't have to make a five gallon bucket at a time or grate a bar of soap! I will definitely try this and thank you for sharing!

Raggedy Creations said...

I've been making my own detergent for awhile now.

I also make my own deodarant.

Felicia

Teri said...

Dear Melanie...thank you for sharing! It sounds wonderful for the budget and for the laundry! Blessings & Hugs ♥ Teri

Melanie said...

Hi, Teri~
So nice to have you stop by. :-)
I'm very pleased with how well this detergent works! I hope you'll like it too!
So nice to find an easy way to save some money.
Hope you enjoy your week! Hugs♥

vicki said...

Hi, Melanie, I have used this recipe and it does work! I even use Dawn as a stain remover, and it works every time.

Have a great evening with your family.

:)Vicki

Melanie said...

Thanks, Vicki,
That's good to know. I'm still using it with no problems. So happy to find something so inexpensive that works!! :-D

theshepherdshouse said...

Great job...yes, every little bit does help! Isn't it so rewarding to be able to make something yourself?

Have a blessed day!
Sharon

Melanie said...

Hi, Sharon~
So nice to have you stop by today. Yes, it is very rewarding to make something yourself! So nice to save money wherever possible. Hope you're having a blessed week.

Lacey Holds said...

Baking Soda is made of 100% Sodium Bicarbonate. Super Washing Soda is made of 100% Sodium Carbonate. While they sound similar, they are not the same. Both products can be used to improve liquid laundry performance for cleaner, fresher clothes. Both products can also be used for cleaning around the house. Baking Soda can be used in baking, as a dentifrice and as an antacid, Super Washing Soda cannot. Super Washing Soda should never be ingested. Be sure to check product packaging for specific uses and recommendations.

Melanie said...

Good things to remember, Lacey. Thanks for stopping by. :-)